Tuesday, January 15, 2013

meet the playful, fabulous jennifer mercede!


Among the many things I love about Jennifer, her playful, fun and joyful approach to her art is one of my very favorite things. When I look at her paintings, I feel happy, light and present, discovering a new pattern, word or different image each time I gaze at one of her beautiful works of art. No wonder the Land of Nod and Oopsy Daisy adore her too! A professional painter living in Portland, Oregon, she creates art that's about connecting to the moment and having fun, as she loves bright colors, is inspired by graffiti, children’s art, life adventures and a free-flowing spirit. She recently illustrated her first adorable children’s book, Gerry the Giraffe, which is available as an animated e-book and in print. We are so excited to have Jennifer teaching at the Makerie for the very first time with two brand new classes to boot ~ Doodle Draw and Expressive Painting. They are sure to inspire in more ways than you can imagine, as students can expect to let go of the outcome, color outside your lines, doodle inside your lines, be blindfolded, and let your mind wander ~ just to name a few! Spots are going fast so if you're thinking about joining in and taking her wonderful workshops, please don't delay! Get to know the really fabulous Jennifer below: 

.................................................................................

What is your favorite food obsession right now? 
Somehow I skipped over the word ‘food’ in this question. I just read ‘obsession’ and answered accordingly: Right now there is a seven hippy band (they call themselves the Aloha Family Band) staying in my attic. Their music is upbeat, positive, and as love filled as are they. Each day I learn more about relaxing and loving through them. Strange as it may seem, I never want them to leave. That and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, she is my latest obsession from the London Olympics, super cute, smiley and positive!

What did you want to be when you grew up?
An actress.

What's for breakfast?
I ate a small bowl of rice crispies and then several of my roommate’s Eggo waffles. With the cheap kind of syrup.

A wish that came true.
I discovered Western Washington University in Bellingham. It had everything I dreamed of and to this day is one of my heart’s favorite places.

A favorite gift you’ve received.
My guitar. And a blender my mom just sent me for no other reason than to send me a gift! (love those kind)

A condiment you love.
Relish.

What you love most about what you do.
Being in my studio with my tunes on. Getting into the zone.

The most challenging or difficult part about what you do.
Ugh, quickbooks accounting.

_________ is at the top of my inspiration library.   
Julia Cameron. Louise Hay. Micah Blacklight.

Any tricks for finding life balance?
Breathe. Find someone to listen to you, even if you have to pay them. Ha!

Any trade secrets/words of wisdom you’d like to divulge?
Be open to the divine in life. Surrender to its path.

.................................................................................

Thank you so much Jennifer!

No comments:

Post a Comment